Saturday, July 17, 2010

What it Means to "Be Different"

Hey World.

So tonight (and not just tonight) I was thinking about how Christians are supposed to "be different." I'm sure you've heard that term at sunday school or church or youth group. Be Different. After all, that's what being a Christian is all about right? Matthew 5:14...being a shining light/city on a hill. All that. But when you really stop to think about it, what does "being different" entail? Because the truth is...we are human. We tend to do the same things as other humans. We eat, sleep, read books, play sports, talk about girls/boys, sleep (i like this one so much i put it twice), eat (that one too), go to school, build friendships, go swimming, get sunburnt, listen to music. You know...every day stuff. So what do they mean by being different? Are we supposed to fast our whole lives? Stop talking about who we like? Wear four layers of sun screen? I surely hope that's not what it all entails. After all, I love eating, four layers of sun screen is nerdy, and what else is there to talk about if not girls?
-
So my family (well...my mom and dad and I at least) were watching the movie "Invictus" tonight. It's a phonomenal movie about the 1995 World Cup champion team from South Africa. But more than that, it's about the country itself and it's leader Nelson Mandela. Mandela spent 27 years in prison for fighting for the rights the blacks. He later went on to become the president. This story is remarkable in itself. But after he was released from prison and placed in the highest position of authority, Mandela chose a rather strange path. He chose a path of forgiveness, never retaliating for what people did to him. Think of that. I'll be 20 in a couple weeks. That's me living my entire life so far PLUS another 7 years in a tiny prison cell. I cannot imagine. And after all of that having the power to do whatever I wanted to the people who did that to me. But choosing to forgive. Choosing not only that, but to keep some of those same people on my staff and as my bodyguards.
-
Now I don't know whether Mandela was or has since become a Christian. But this I do know, that his actions are the definition of "being different." The sad truth is that in the past year I have met so many Christians who are not different. Who talk behind backs, complain about everything, refuse to forgive, and then somehow go to bed at night with a clean conscience. "Being different" doesn't mean that you look different. In fact, at first glance one might not be able to tell. Maybe not even second glance. But those that know you will know. Not by the things you say necessarily, but perhaps by the things you don't say. When you are having a bad day and your boss/parents/brother/random person just really get on your case for no reason at all, and you choose to forgive long before they ask for it. You walk back to your dorm/house and your friend is ready to be a shoulder for you to cry on as you "vent" about all your problems, but they are surprised to find you note how beautiful the stars are tonight instead.
-
So what exactly does it mean to "be different." Well I would sum it up in one verse. 1 Thessalonians 5:18. "In everything give thanks; for this is the will of God in Christ Jesus for you." You want to be different. Be a city of joy on top of a hill surrounded by a valley of complainers.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thoughts? Leave a comment!

Dethroning the American Jesus - Final 1 John Post

"We know that whoever is born of God does not sin; but he who has been born of God keeps himself, and the wicked one does not to...