Tuesday, July 13, 2010

Glorify God In Your Body

Hey world,

Yes. I do realize that three posts in one night is a little over-board. Forgive me. I promise this is my last thought. I'm still in 1 Corinthians 6. Verses 12-20. Verse 12 starts out by saying, "All things are lawful for me." So many people take this verse to mean that Christians are no longer under any laws. But they forgot to finish the verse. The whole verse reads, "All things are lawful for me, but all things are not helpful." Now, I admit I don't understand this completely. I know it doesn't mean we can do whatever we want, but it does obviously give us freedom. But Paul also assures that not everything that is "allowed" is good for us. I try to live my life in a way that if I cross the boundaries I have set, I am still quite far from the cliff. Example: Dancing. I have no problem with clean dancing. But I don't do it because I don't want to go too far ever. Therefore, I don't care if you do. I just don't. Not dancing doesn't pull me away from Jesus and it's keeping me safe. Maybe you have something different that I do that you don't. That's just the way it works sometimes. But there are two things Paul stresses that I want to relay onto you.

1. In verse 15 Paul tells us that our bodies are members of Christ and in verse 19 that they are the temple of the Holy Spirit. Think about that for a second. In your body lies the HOLY SPIRIT. GOD HIMSELF! When we use our bodies for thing not of Christ (sexual immorality), our bodies become harlots. Or...members of Satan! There is nothing you can do that is something in between. What you do with your body is either to the glory of God or to the glory of Satan. Let me repeat. EVERYTHING you do with your body is either to the glory of God or to the glory of Satan.

2. Verse 20 says, "For you were bought at a price; therefore glorify God in your body and in your spirit, which are God's." Your body is not yours. It's God's. He bought it at the price of His own body. So I'm not condemning any certain thing (though rest assured I have my opinions)! :) But I won't push those on you. Ask me in an email sometime if you are THAT curious. I just want to encourage you to think about the things you do with your body. Are they glorifying to God? Don't just say yes. Think about it long and hard. We will answer one day for our actions, as well for the people who our actions affect. Is your body glorifying God? If it makes it any easier for you...mine often is not. It's something I'm working on so hard. Maybe there is something you aren't sure about. A certain kind of dancing "other Christians do" that is PROBABLY okay. You are either glorifying God or Satan. I think it's worth taking 10 minutes to figure it out.

2 comments:

  1. Even the simple, every-day things like eating and drinking, are to be done to the glory of God (1 Cor. 10:31). Also Col. 3:17, 23-24.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree totally with what you just said...but at the same time you do have to be careful. About two years ago, I got SO caught up in it that I would freak out. I would overthink playing sports, (even friendly ones with family or friends) or cleaning or schoolwork or ANYTHING cuz I was so afraid I wasn't doing it for the right reasons. Which ironically I thought too much about "me" So you have to find balance or else you won't end up getting closer to God at all.

    ReplyDelete

Thoughts? Leave a comment!

Dethroning the American Jesus - Final 1 John Post

"We know that whoever is born of God does not sin; but he who has been born of God keeps himself, and the wicked one does not to...