Sunday, July 18, 2010

Concerning the "Love Chapter"

Hey World.

I hope your Sunday's were all restful and encouraging. I just woke up from a nap so the restful is for sure there, and my dad had an excellent sermon on the parable in Luke 19:11-17, talking about how we need to be about the work of Christ, and not wasting the time we are given on earth. So encouragement and rest I have both received.
-
I reckon I gave away what this post is about in the title (unless of course you have not heard of the Love Chapter). However, hopefully these thoughts will give you a new look at the chapter. Not unscriptural of course, just new. Well, just as some background information, you should probably know that I use the New King James version (and no...not just because that's my name). That being said, on occasion I will also use the Old King James version. I grew up reading regular ol' KJV, and slowly transitioned into the new, so for fun or for deep study I will use the KJV. That may seem pointless to you, but don't worry, it all will soon make sense.
-
You see, if you read 1 Corinthians 13 (the love chapter) in KJV you will notice that "love" is not mentioned once in the entire chapter. Instead, the editors/writers/translaters (whatever they are called) of the KJV translated the word "charity." Now, few people probably know this since most people no longer read the KJV due to it's old language. But it's a very interesting thought. The "Love Chapter" has now become the "Charity Chapter." Now hopefully I won't make this TOO long, but I'd like to take a little time to say why I like the word "charity" in place of "love" in this chapter.
-
When you hear the word "love," what do you think? Now I know this isn't speaking for everyone, but most people tend to think of romantic kind of love. And there's nothing wrong with that. Love is a very romantic word. Some might think of the kind of love you have for your family. Or maybe the very spiritual ones will think of the love Jesus had for us. None of those are wrong answers. I think a big problem with the English language is that we really only have ONE word for "love." Well, that is until "charity" comes into the picture (but that's getting ahead of myself). The first problem with how we read 1 Corinthians 13 (at least people like me) is that we read it with a "wedding mindset." After all, this chapter is read many times at weddings. And for good reason. It's about love. But I begin to wonder how many couples listen carefully to the words being read.
-

  • "Love suffers long." That's the first thing Paul says about love. You know what that means. Love brings SUFFERING. You will suffer. But IF you have love, you will endure that time of suffering. No matter what comes up against you, you will choose love.
  • "Love does not value itself." Think of that for a moment. You don't even consider yourself when you are loving someone else. It's all about them.
  • "Love is not easily provoked." When you love, you put on the skin of a rhinoceros. Nothing gets to you. Nothing makes you "explode" when you are wronged. 
  • "Love hopes all things." Love looks on the bright side. Love knows it's going to be okay.
  • "Love never fails."Paul saved the best for last. Love NEVER fails. Well what about divorce? People who were once in love are now divorced. Why? 

Did their love fail?
-
This is where I believe the word "charity" comes in. You see, I believe many people get married who are madly in love, but are NOT madly "in charity." You see, your English teacher was wrong. The English language has TWO words for love, and one of them is charity. But just like France has 1,508 different words for love all covering different kinds of love, so charity and love are not necessarily the same thing.
-
What is the first thing you think of when you hear the word "charity?" Generally giving, right? Helping the poor. Giving money. So, for love we picture romance, and charity we see giving money. Paul writes 1 Corinthians 13 to give us a brand new understanding of both words. Yes, love is romantic. Yes, charity is giving. But they are both so much more as well!
-
The biggest problem with reading 1 Corinthians 13 is that we often read it out of context. In chapter 12 Paul was talking about spiritual gifts (prophesy, speaking in tongues, faith, etc). He culminates this topic by saying that it doesn't matter if you have ANY gift if you do not have charity. But like I said, charity is not what we often think of. Why do I like the word charity? Because love is often thought of as a feeling. That is why sometimes "love" fails. Because its nothing more than a fleeting feeling. But charity is "giving." Giving and expecting nothing in return. Yes, charity is still love, but it's a different kind. It's not romantic. You can show charity to someone you absolutely HATE. But you show it because it's what Christians do. "Charity suffers long." Paul isn't talking about marriages suffering. He's talking about that guy or girl that you absolutely cannot stand. The one that makes you SUFFER. But charity keeps on giving even when that happens. Charity hopes. Yes, things are looking down in this relationship, but you have hope. Charity is not easily provoked. Charity has thick skin. The list goes on and on. But most importantly, charity never fails. How can it? What could possibly go wrong, if you are constantly showing charity to others no matter what they do to you?
-
Well, this was both longer and more jumbled than I was hoping for, but hopefully something stood out to you. The point was not to make you read the KJV or say charity instead or to stop having this in weddings. :) The important thing is that others will know us by our love for each other. So let's love each other with charity. :)

2 comments:

  1. Yes, thank you for this post!! I only read the KJV, and it has always bothered me how often the word "charity" is replaced with "love." Like you said, most people, when they read the word "love," think romantic love. But when I read the word "charity," it makes me think of the pure, unadulturated love of Christ - the kind of love we as Christians need to have towards other people - everyone, saved or not. We need to try to be like Christ in everything, including the way we love people.
    On a side note, I don't want to try to push anything on you, but here is a link I found about the NKJV - you don't have to read it, but I thought is was really interesting and thought-provoking.
    http://www.av1611.org/nkjv.html

    ReplyDelete
  2. thanks for that Haley. I kind of laugh though when i see all these opinions about different versions. While I have my opinions, I do believe that most translations are indeed the Word of God. KJV, NIV, RSV, NLT, ESV, etc. I don't think there is anything secretly hidden in these translations. Because all in all, I know people who's lives have been drastically changed by an NIV, ESV, etc. I Obviously translations that make Christ out to be less than He was or whatever are wrong. But word choices don't change the promises of God. After all, there is no way that the KJV is exactly like the original after all those translations from Hebrew and Greek to whatever to German and finally to English. All in all, i try to stay away from such debates too much.

    ReplyDelete

Thoughts? Leave a comment!

Dethroning the American Jesus - Final 1 John Post

"We know that whoever is born of God does not sin; but he who has been born of God keeps himself, and the wicked one does not to...