Sunday, July 11, 2010

If Today Was Your Last Day

Greetings World.

So, straight to it. Question of the ages. What would you do if today was your last day? I suppose you could be realistic and say "well we will never know, will we?" But who cares about realists anyway? So what would it be? Say your apologies to everyone you've wronged? Tell that guy or girl next door you are crazy for him or her? Go witness to the world? Jump out of an airplane? Get married? What? If this was your last 24 hours. 1440 minutes. 86,400 seconds. That's it. That's all you have left. What are you going to do? 
-
I think about death every once in a while. No. Not because I'm suicidal. Just because it's gonna happen and i might as well get used to that. And I got to thinking. Okay James. There is no tomorrow. You just woke up. You got today left. That's it. What are you gonna do? My first thoughts were probably typical of most people. 
Do something crazy! Something I would never be brave enough to otherwise. Jump off Niagara, try to run into the White House...something like that. :) Or, I could get spiritual and say I would witness to everyone I saw. After all, that's not a bad idea. But then I thought this. What do I enjoy most about life right now? 
-
Answer? The little things. Sitting down talking to my sister Rachel about the girl I like. Playing tennis in the pouring rain with my best friend Sam. Playing catch with my brother Jonathan. Talking to my dad about the Bible. Road-tripping with my sister (in-law's sister) Tara to Nebraska to visit my brother Jeremiah and his wife Liz. Planning out my future with my mom. Sleeping in. Going for a walk. Having my devotions. Playing fetch with my mentally handicapped dog. Writing a story. Listening to music. 
-
So thought. Why would I have my last day be any different? No. I wouldn't call up friends from the past asking forgiveness for things of the past. I wouldn't go on a witnessing spree. I wouldn't really do anything out of the ordinary. I'd do those little things that so often go unnoticed, over-looked and under-rated. I'd sleep in, go play catch, talk about girls, play fetch, have deep conversations, go for a walk, and plan my future that wasn't going to happen. 
-
So what would I do if today was my last day? I would simply pretend I had 1 billion days left. What would you do?

3 comments:

  1. I would love to leave a legacy of love without preaching.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I totally agree, James! I'm always writing about how much I enjoy little things rather than big HUGE events. I would probably spend just a little extra time with the people I love because I want them to know I love them more than anyTHING.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I would do the same. Its funny because I've been thinking about this lately, and am really considering making "live everyday like its your last" my new motto.
    Thanks for sharing,
    Katherine

    ReplyDelete

Thoughts? Leave a comment!

Dethroning the American Jesus - Final 1 John Post

"We know that whoever is born of God does not sin; but he who has been born of God keeps himself, and the wicked one does not to...