Monday, July 5, 2010

The Consequences of Freedom

Hey everyone,
First of all I just want to apologize for how long it's been since I was on here.
Well now that we got that out of the way...:)
Well, as you may have noticed, yesterday was the 4th of July. So theoretically, since today is the 5th this post is kind of late. But that's just the story of my life so i guess we will all just have to deal with it. I'm sincerely hoping today is the start of blogging regularly again (but now i'm getting off track).
The Fourth of July is probably one of the most over-looked holidays there are. Christmas, Thanksgiving, Easter pretty much all take precedence over this holiday. After all, besides a couple of fireworks there is nothing much to it. However, the 4th is one of my favorites. And no...not only because i happen to love fireworks more than oxygen, chocolate, and mac'n'cheese combined. But because my dad raised me a patriot. I love this country very much, and singing patriotic songs, watching fireworks (remembering the bombs bursting in air), and hearing that star spangled banner sung is just amazing. But people don't get as excited about this anymore. Why is the celebration of the greatest country on earth the least celebrated?
I'll tell you why...
People no longer love America like they used to. Sure they talk about it a lot. All the time in fact. But mostly they are complaining. Complaining about the economy, about the leadership, about politics, about the war, about the border, about taxes, about pretty much everything there is to complain about. You know what I hear very little of? I rarely hear people just sigh and say, "Boy I love the United States of America!" Sure, people thank God for freedom. But you don't hear people thanking God for the current economy, taxes, leadership, etc.
The problem...?
You see, freedom is important. It's amazing. I love it. I praise God for it. But freedom also makes us forget. It makes us forget that sometimes you have to fight. It makes us forget that God is the one who gave it to us. It makes us forget to be grateful. It makes us forget to thank God for people who give their lives for it. It makes us forget to be grateful for those who sacrifice to lead our country. It makes us complain...complain...complain. One could say that I am now the one complaining. Yes. I am. But I'm NOT complaining about my country. Because I love it. I praise God for it. I am only complaining that the people God has BLESSED to live in this great country are not grateful enough to say thank you.
~
It's a lot like our faith. We live in a free country where we are free to worship. Am I thankful for this? Yes. But it's just the same. Christians just complain about others Christians! They complain that they are too liberal, too strict, they dance, they don't dance, their hair is too long, they are republicans, they are democrats, and on the list goes. It's like the 50 states all hating each other when they are all living under the same flag. You see...Patriotism and Christianity have a lot in common. We are misusing our freedoms. One of two things must happen.
1. We must suffer persecution. When in U.S history have we come the most together? Trade tours falling, World Wars, fighting the depression, The War for Independence. And where are Christians not only standing firm but growing in numbers uncontrollably? Christianity spreads the most where it is persecuted. Now...I do not desire war for my country or my faith. But it seems sometimes like it is necessary to pull us back together. Hopefully their is an option #2.

2. Realize the place we are in. Realize that we must unite before persecution forces us to. Before you focus on loving your unbelieving "neighbors", make sure you are loving your brothers and sisters in Christ. LOVE them. Don't talk behind their backs, persecute them with your judgments, and ridicule them. DO things for them without expecting anything in return...especially for those other Christians who you can't seem to get along with. Pray for them. Praise them when they do right. And the same goes for our nation. Love your nation. Praise God for it. Pray for it. Pray for your leaders. Write them and tell them you appreciate their sacrifice. Write to a soldier. Hang a flag outside your house. God put you here, and don't forget how blessed you are!

This doesn't mean you can't stand up against things you don't believe in. I realize things are happening in this country that are NOT Godly. But this nation was founded on God, and it will only stay that way if we keep living Godly lives, and showing this nation the love of God THROUGH our love for the United States of America.

God Bless

2 comments:

  1. Great to have you back in the blogging world. As usual, great post -- I'm a DIE HARD American!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. JAMES!!! You are ALIVE! haha great to have you back in the blogging world with your intense topics. =)

    Awesome post! I just got back from a two week missions trip in Guatemala...so it may take me some time to read through all the posts you did while I was away!

    Lexi

    ReplyDelete

Thoughts? Leave a comment!

Dethroning the American Jesus - Final 1 John Post

"We know that whoever is born of God does not sin; but he who has been born of God keeps himself, and the wicked one does not to...