Wednesday, March 24, 2010

So Called "Christianity"

So this is something I've wanting to write about for a long time, but school got in the way. Okay, I thought of it monday night...but when you have a blog that is FOREVER to wait. I actually should be starting my paper for English that's due tomorrow, but I don't even remember what it's supposed to be about and its not due for 15 hours so I can put that on the back burner for now. Okay...enough jokes. Put on your serious faces, cuz this is actually kinda a heavy issue (in my humble conservative opinion).


So..."Christians." Does the term sound familiar? Most likely. Either you are one, or you know what they are. But does anyone actually know what the term means or when it originates from? Well, pick up your Bibles or go to biblegateway.com because we are gonna read some Scripture. YAY! We are going to go to Acts 11:26. Are you there? Better be. It says "...and the disciples were first called Christians in Antioch." So, one question was answered. The disciples were given the name pretty much IMMEDIATELY after Jesus left earth. That makes sense once we check out the definition. The definition of Christian is EXTREMELY long and complicated so stick with me. It means "little Christ." Phew. You still with me? Little Christ. Those first century pagans who came up with the name were pretty original if you ask me. It was actually a derogatory term, just meant to make fun of the disciples. And as I mentioned earlier, this happened shortly after Jesus resurrected, so the people calling them this would have known who Jesus was (and maybe even seen and heard Him). However, the disciples didn't mind at all and 2000 some years later we are still called that today.

Now, "according to recent polls" (whatever that means) 76% of people in the United States today are Christians. Wow! Who knew! 76%? Really? Tell me this...if you are talking to a complete stranger, do you REALLY think that there is a 3/4 chance that he or she is a Christian? I'm not that optimistic. At least I wasn't. But you know...I really got to thinking about long and hard, and I am convinced that the poll is ACTUALLY 100% accurate. You wanna know why?

The term "Christian" means DIDDLY SQUAT!!! Let me redirect your attention to the "who" and "what" of the term.
Who: The disciples.
What: Little Christ.
Would you like to know what 70% of those 76% of "Christians" are NOT?
1. They are not disciples of Jesus.
2. They are not little Christ's.
BUT...they are still Christians. Why? Because Christian no longer has the same meaning. You know how some words change over time? Well, today Christian means "little Christ" about as much as gay means "happy."

You call someone gay (who is not) and they will be offended. Well, pretty much it's the same with "Christian" today. A recent "research" (whatever that means) asked random people to say the first word that came to their minds with the word "Christian." Here were the responses (not in order).
1. Hypocrites.
2. Old-fashioned.
3. Judging.
The list went on. Now, these aren't in the right order I don't think but all the top results were negative. The word "love" was not mentioned. Is your heart sinking yet?

Honestly, the more I think about it...the next person that asks me if I am a Christian...I'm gonna say no. Because back in the 60's, I would would have been gay right along with the Flinstones.
Today...I am not.
Back in the 80's I would have been a Christian right alongside Gospel Bill (you probably never saw it).
Today I am not.

You see, the disciples did not call themselves Christians. They were "followers of the Way." Imagine if we all started calling ourselves that! Can you imagine the responses of people? Try to create this scene in your mind. You are in a discussion about the world, evolution, faith, whatever...the person finally asks sarcastically, "well you're a Christian aren't you?" You answer....
"No."
Guaranteed if this person thought you were he will be taken back.
"What?" he asks. "Well, what are you...cuz you definitely aren't normal."
"Oh, I'm a follower of the Way."
"Follower of the what?"
"The Way."
"Which is...?"


BAM!

What a great opportunity to tell this person about Jesus and His great compassion, mercy, love; and the hope that knowing Him brings!
But then of course this person asks.
"Isn't that a Christian?"
And you say...
"No. Most Christians judge people and are too caught attending church, and picketing abortion clinics, winning "witness" awards, and spreading the good news that homosexuals go to Hell.
Followers of the Way are MUCH different. We just plain ol' love Jesus and love other people.

But why not just call ourselves Christians, and explain what that really means? Seriously, that has about as much of a chance of working as "gay" being turned back to meaning "happy." It's just not gonna happen. Am I changing my faith? No. Am I denying Jesus? No. Am I ceasing to tell others about Him? No. Do I condone abortion? No. Do I condone being homosexual? No. I'm just loving other people like Jesus told me to. And you wanna know something? You remember how Jesus hung out with the "sinners" and "tax collectors" when He was on earth? Well, translated 21st Century that would be homosexuals, and abortionists. And you know who you and I would have been? The Pharisees. Be very careful readers that you are not a modern day Pharisee. I cannot stress enough the importance of just loving people. Just loving People. Loving people. Love people. Love.

My eyes were opened during Missions Conference last week here at Biola. One of the speakers is a missionary is India. You what "Christianity" means over there? "White American's religion." Wow. Try to let that sink in for a bit. "White American's religion." So much for John 3:16. Guess that's been rewritten to "For God so loved the United States of America..."

I'm getting extremely depressed writing this, and I don't even know how you've made it this far. And to be very honest I am not even sure what my point is. A wake up call maybe? Though that is pretty cliche, and wake up calls never work anyway. Do I care if you call yourself a Christian or not? No. My point isn't just to get everyone to stop calling themselves Christians. Well, If I had every believer's attention that might be my point, but to all 30 of my followers my point is just this.
Whatever you call yourself, don't be today's "Christian." Keep the title. I don't care. But strive to be a little Christ. A Disciple. Jesus gave two requirements (maybe more) for being a disciple...not a "Christian". A disciple.
1. Abide in My Word. Readers, I know you are sick of hearing this but READ YOUR BIBLE!!!
2. Love one another. LOVE. LOVE. LOVE. LOVE. LOVE.

In an age when believers are more concerned with complaining about abortion, homosexuals, and Obama, and less concerned with loving them and praying for them; remember these two things.

1. Reading God's Word will change your life.
2. Loving other people will change their lives.

I could ramble on and on, but I'll be done. Goodnight.

God bless you all,
James Knoop

11 comments:

  1. I wasn't going to read this one becuase I didn't have a lot of time and it was kinda long... :) But I started it and read the whole thing, Glad I did. Thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  2. WOW! some deep stuff here! so let me ask you a question. I HATE abortion. is it sinful for me to picket?

    ReplyDelete
  3. ...Wow...that really stirs something in my heart...I am speechless...but that's a good thing...something to really think about...

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hey anonymous,
    I hate the fact that our country has legalized killing babies too. No, it is not sinful to picket. I'm just saying that seems to be the ONLY thing we do about it, instead of befriending and loving the people who do it., and showing them a better way. But in my opinion all picketing ever seems to do is make other people mad. Maybe I'm wrong, but that's just the way it seems.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Very good point James. When people ask me if I am a Christian or religious I say no. I say I am a follower of Christ and I care about my relationship with God and sharing that with other people. It does start great conversation. "Religion" is more about rules and less about God in my opinion. Thanks for taking your time to write all of these. :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. THANK-YOU!!! I can't stand the bad name the "Christians" have given us REAL followers of Christ. And I understand the extremes you're talking about. The world tells us one bad thing, then the Church (in order to combat it) tells us something so far on the other side that it's also wrong. I have to fight on BOTH sides just to keep my sanity!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Awesome post, James!! I love how honest and sincere it was. I totally agree and am going to try to live out the points you made. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  8. This is a great post! I totally agree with you! What you said is really true!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Whoa, some hard hitting stuff there, but so good! I love it when people challenge me...

    ReplyDelete
  10. Love this post!! It totally touched me and got me thinking. :D I totally agree about the gay thing too, seriously. :D

    ~kinsey~

    ReplyDelete
  11. Thanks so much for this..I've been pondering about this, and even declared to someone that "I'm a follower of the Way!" and got a great response :)

    -Mia

    ReplyDelete

Thoughts? Leave a comment!

Dethroning the American Jesus - Final 1 John Post

"We know that whoever is born of God does not sin; but he who has been born of God keeps himself, and the wicked one does not to...