Saturday, March 13, 2010

Day 4 of "Future Wife Week": Trustworthy

Greetings fellow Earthians,
Welcome to Saturday. The day after Friday and the day preceding Sunday. What have I done so far today? Well....let me dig into my memory bank and try to remember. Ah yes. Not much. :) I woke up just before sunrise at 12:30 PM and ate my chewable kids vitamin, took a shower, and tried in vain to remove a stain from one of my favorite zip up hoodies. I've already spent more money on stain remover and the laundry than it is worth. Frustrating. I now have a cup of mac and cheese in my hand and I'm writing you. Okay...so the cup isn't literally in my hands...but I like the way that sounded. Enough of this jargon though....on to DAY FOUR.


Trustworthy
Now you are probably sitting at your home or coffee house or hotel (that'd be intense if people followed me on their trips) thinking....."well duh!" And I would agree with you. This is a rather duh characteristic to be in a wife...at least on the surface. So, I will go into a little more depth so you can understand my point. 

I'm not just talking about someone I can trust not to go sleeping around. But going one step beyond that I want someone I can trust not go be flirting. "Well, how do you know if she'll flirt?" you ask. Well...is she flirting now? "Well that doesn't mean she'll flirt when you are married!" Doesn't it? Does something magical happen at the "I do's?" All desire for popularity and acceptance and what not from the opposite gender suddenly vanishes?  You can talk to probably any married couple and they will tell you that getting married does not change who you are magically. If anything....it gets harder. 

Now, I'm not a tyrant. I'm not looking for someone who has NEVER flirted...well, i wouldn't say no to that but...you get the point. But I am looking for someone who isn't known as a flirt. 
Secondly, I want to know that she will never leave me. How will I know this? Well, I can't know it for sure...but I can look for signs of it in her past. How many boy friends has she had? 1? 2? 3? 17? Now, I don't presume to tell God who I am going to marry, but I will tell you this now...if you have had more than about 2 boyfriends...your chances are slim to none. Because either one of three things has happened.
1. You weren't willing to wait.
2. You don't know who you are looking for, and you picked the wrong kind of guys.
3. You just need someone to love you until you find someone better.

Now, I'm not picking on females, but since I'm a guy talking about my future wife it wouldn't make sense for me to address the guys here. Here is my question. If you can't keep a relationship now? How will you keep one in a couple of years when you get married? Like I said. It gets harder. 

Thirdly, I want someone who will not lie. Someone who accepts only truth in all respects. Because here is the thing...if a couple EVER lies to one another...a little trust is going to fall away no matter how many "sorrys" are said. Now...I realize marriages aren't perfect. I'm not expecting one. But you get the point. And once again...I will look at her now. Does she lie? Even little lies? Does she say one thing to a friend and another to her parents? (Keep in mind all these things are directed at me as well). I guarantee you...if my wife has the same standards I have, I'm gonna have to work pretty hard to get up to shape by the time we meet. :)

Lastly, I want to be able to trust my wife with everything I tell her. I want her to be completely open with me, and I with her. I have a treasure chest with only one key. And that key is deeply hidden in my heart where no one can find it. She has a similar treasure. I want to share a treasure chest with wife, where all our secrets, hopes, and desires lie. When I give her my heart, and she gives me hers, we will give eachother our keys as well. I want someone who will guard that key.

That last paragraph was kind of cliche, but its true for me all the same. 

Have a splendid Saturday everyone. I will speak to you tomorrow after church.

4 comments:

  1. loved this post James...seriously thanks so much for doing this! It's great to see inside a guy's mind (scary) and not many guys will do this sort of thing.

    Have a great Sunday!!!

    Lexi

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree with you Lexi. These posts really make me think, and its nice to see it from a guy's perspective :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I couldn't agree more. Could you do a post on what is considered "flirting"? I've heard so many weird definitions (from flipping hair to simply having a conversation with someone of the opposite gender.) And looking at a girls actions BEFORE marriage is a wise decision too -- you wouldn't let someone repeatedly caught stealing money be in charge of a cash-register!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I would also like a post about what is considered flirting! :)

    ReplyDelete

Thoughts? Leave a comment!

Dethroning the American Jesus - Final 1 John Post

"We know that whoever is born of God does not sin; but he who has been born of God keeps himself, and the wicked one does not to...