Thursday, March 11, 2010

Characteristic #2 Bible Addict

Well, here we are at future wife week, Day 2. Right now, I'm really roughing it as i write this post. It's sunny...a frigid 70 degrees with no clouds in the sky. :) I'm just sitting in front of the fountain in my khaki shorts, t, converse shoes, and sunglasses. I'll try to help set the scene...














Hope that helps. :) Just so you know...choosing 7 specific things is rather hard for me. Modesty is easy, but after that...it's hard. I could go on about how i hope she's athletic, is a Vikings fan, loves dogs, etc...but I'll try to stick with things that I REALLY care about. So, let's get on to characteristic #2.



                                                                             -BIBLE ADDICT-
I worked at a Christian Camp this last summer as a counselor/lifeguard. The summer was flat out amazing, and I saw many many kids come to Christ, and was blessed enough to lead some of them in prayer. Two of the weeks at camp I also had the opportunity of speaking at chapel. I also had the opportunity this last January of bringing that same message to my Church. No, I'm not a pastor. :) But my dad is and he's always excited if I ask to preach. ANYWAY...the message I brought was on the importance of reading your Bible. Im not going to go way into all the reasons why it's so important right now...maybe sometime I'll post my sermon on here. 

But I'll just give you a little of my history on the topic and why its so important that my future wife be this way. Growing up a PK I obviously also grew up reading my Bible. My dad would often randomly ask me where I was reading. "No where" was NOT a good answer to have. :) Neither was "Psalms". He caught onto that one fast too (the Psalms are really short). So, I did have a good foundation in reading my Bible. But family is family and dad's are dad's. As such, we often obey in order to obey, and not because we really think about why we are obeying. Well, a man by the name of Sam Dodd really helped open my eyes to what my parents had been pounding at me for 16 years. 

"Read your Bible." he said. Simple enough I thought. I do that all the time. But I wasn't even close to understanding what he meant. Sam has read his Bible every day for like 20 years or something. Blows my mind. But what he stressed is that the Bible can change your life. While at camp there was a competition that those who read their Bible every day for a year got a free trip to Valley Fair (amusement park in MN). Well, I (along with my sister) was one of the winners. But by the time I got my prize, I had already won the true prize. I cannot tell you enough how much being constantly in Gods Word changed me that year. I was a prideful, judging, 16 year old punk when I started. The worst part is that I had no idea. Am I still prideful? Yes. Judging? Yes. A punk? Yes. 16? No. :) The point is, I have grown so much in those areas. You know how every preacher tells you to make sure that your faith is your own, and not just your parents or whoever else's? That year was when my faith "became real." 

You could say it was just because I was working at camp and getting older, but you'd be very wrong. Reading the Bible changed my life, and I'm not just saying that as a catchy phrase. It did. And working at camp I have seen it change others. I've seen high school freshman brought to tears by the Word of God. I cannot stress enough the power of God's Word.You want to measure how you are doing in your walk with Christ? How much time are you spending with him? 

My goal (as I have stated before) is to only date two people in my life. And it's not one wrong person and then my wife. The only two people I want to date are my future wife and Jesus. I decided this at about year 18. If I had a girlfriend, I'd be spending time with her, thinking about her, calling her on the phone, and spending money on her. So, right now, I spend time with Jesus, I think about Jesus, I "call" Jesus, and I spend money on books that might bring me to a better understanding of Jesus. 

Sorry...this was way longer than I meant it to be. All this to say, I want a wife addicted to Jesus and His Word. 

Have a great Thursday folks!

6 comments:

  1. Great post- reading your Bible for real and consistently can be difficult, and unless you experience the change it can have on your life, it seems monotonous. Great post! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. see this one, this one......i needed this one.
    thank you

    ReplyDelete
  3. SWEET! Great job, and brilliant idea. I wish more people thought like this :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I can't think of a better addiction to have :)
    LocaChica

    ReplyDelete
  5. I agree with you 100% James. God and the Bible should take center stage in a relationship. Keep up the awesome posts!

    ReplyDelete
  6. God should be the center of a relationship no matter what. Best addiction to have...ever!

    thanks for sharing James!

    ReplyDelete

Thoughts? Leave a comment!

Dethroning the American Jesus - Final 1 John Post

"We know that whoever is born of God does not sin; but he who has been born of God keeps himself, and the wicked one does not to...