Sunday, March 14, 2010

Day Five: Submissive

Okay....so whats up? You know what I like about Sundays? I dress up. I really enjoy dressing up, so I'm not sure why i never do. Well...let me clarify. I'm always dressy. I am very self conscious of what I am wearing...but I'm talking about button-up type dressing up. Well...that was my random thing for the day....on to the fifth characteristic of my future wife. Wait...before I go into that I just want to warn you that it MAY not be incredibly popular among females. So...let me know what you think (though I doubt it will change my mind anyway. :) )

SUBMISSIVE
Yup...I said it. :) Now is the part where you delete this page from your history so you don't even remember it. :) Go ahead...I understand. :) But for those of you still here, as always, I will explain myself.
First of all, as most of you probably already know, I am very proud to be a conservative. I'm pretty sure I grow more conservative every day. Now, as a conservative, I also tend to go back to the old black and white days when wives were submissive and not all about the feminist movement. 

But I'll get right to the point. The man is the head of the home (or at least he should be). This should not shock you or anger you. In fact, females, you are really very lucky to not be given this role. The leader, though given advice by his wife, ultimately makes the decisions (fyi...i HATE decisions). And so...when the decision is made, it is also the husband on whose shoulders the weight of the consequences are laid, good or bad. If families are having problems, outsiders wonder what the husband is doing wrong. He is the leader, protector, and shepherd. He is responsible for everything. So, if you haven't thought of it that way before I hope that makes the females more grateful and the men more wide-eyed to what marriage will mean for them. 

Also, the role of the submissive wife is to accept her husbands decision, even if she knows he's doing something really stupid. :) Guys have a tendency do stupid things every once in a while if you didn't notice. The wife gives her opinion of why it's stupid, but after he doesn't listen to her, she sits back and smiles as he bears the consequences. Now, hopefully you aren't that evil about it, but you get the picture. :)

Lastly, the wife is the encourager of her husband. The Ephesians 4:29 wife. When the husband comes home depressed from the stupid decision he just made, or getting laid off work, or his football team losing, or whatever...the wife is there to build him up. She gives everything of herself to make sure her husband makes it through the day. The husband is also the spiritual leader of the home, but when the weight becomes to great, the wife picks him up. 

A great example of this is Frodo Baggins and Samwise Gamgee. Frodo is the husband. Samwise is the wife. Frodo carries the ring over his neck that Samwise cannot carry, but it is Sam who is encouraging Frodo all along the way. (I could also point out that Sam does the cooking. :) kidding). And at last, when the two come to Mount Doom, Frodo is completely unable to take another step. That's when Sam says what is probably the best quote from Lord Of The Rings. "I can't carry it for you. But I can carry you!" That is the perfect example for wives. You cannot carry the burden we (will) carry, but you can carry us.

And in return for a submissive wife, I will promise her this. I will give everything of myself to do what it best for our family. I will protect my family spiritually, emotionally, and physically as best I can. And I will love my wife with every ounce of love inside of me. I promise to be her best friend. I leave you with this quote from probably my biggest hero of the past, Martin Luther.

"Let the wife make the husband glad to come home, and let him make her sorry to see him leave." 

6 comments:

  1. Awww... I love that quote.Great post!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Excellent. And not offending at all! I promise. :) Actually, its entirely true and its nice to hear a guy take charge.

    ReplyDelete
  3. You go James!! Thanks for having the guts to post this dude. Really awesome.

    Firstly, Martin Luther was awesome.

    Secondly, the LOTR analogy was pretty insanely awesome as well as accurate in a strange way.

    Thirdly, Hmmm... I thought I had something else to say but I don't.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh wow! This was beautiful! YES! Ladies, please, make things easier for the men by NOT getting in the way of his decisions, i.e. by not letting him make decisions at all. Being the wife is the "privileged position". By following a husband who is doing the right thing, we get blessed. By following a husband who is NOT doing the right thing -- guess what? -- you STILL get blessed.

    Another thing that might encourage both guys AND girls is: when the husband is a good leader, the wife wants to submit to him. When the wife submits, the husband wants to lead even better, making the wife want to submit even better. And it goes on and on. Like a friendly rivalry: Who can lead/submit better?

    ReplyDelete
  5. James that was awesome! So not offensive at all! I love that quote by Martin Luther...I will have to write that one down for keeps.

    ReplyDelete
  6. This was a great post! I didn't find it offensive at all! What you wrote is really true!

    ReplyDelete

Thoughts? Leave a comment!

Dethroning the American Jesus - Final 1 John Post

"We know that whoever is born of God does not sin; but he who has been born of God keeps himself, and the wicked one does not to...