Thursday, November 12, 2009

Moments in Life

Moments in Life

-First Moment-
Once upon a time there was a young boy named Jack. He was a very small boy, who wore big round glasses, and had a lot of freckles on his face and arms. Jack went to a little school next to a big pool. This was not any pool however. This was the pool with the high diving board. It had taken Jack many trips to the pool to build up the courage to jump off, but now that he was seven Jack wasn’t wasn’t afraid. Well...not as much. One day, Jack was climbing the ladder when he heard someone call his name. He knew exactly who it was too. This was the nicest person he had ever met, and her name was Kayla. She was in second grade, one above him. However, since she was only three months older, Jack didn’t really care. He had received a love letter from almost every girl in first grade, but half of them were annoying. Kayla never gave him love notes. She was just nice. Jack liked that. Kayla was waving at Jack now as he was just about to climb the last step of the ladder. Jack smiled so bright you could have seen his smile in the dark. That was right before he tripped and fell down the ladder.

Two days later Jack came back to school with a cast on his right leg, and crutches under his arms. The minute Kayla found Jack at recess, she ran up to him.
“Jack! You’re back!” she exclaimed with a pretty smile.
Jack said nothing. He only stared. Kayla brought her hands behind her back, and began to slowly sway back and forth, waiting for Jack to say something back. He did not.
“How’s your leg?” she asked.
Jack swallowed hard.
“Uh...good.”
Kayla smiled even brighter.
“That’s good!”
Jack nodded.
“Kayla, come jumprope with us!” called Kayla’s friend Katie from across the playground. Kayla looked at Jack and back to Katie.
“I’m going to play to with Jack today.” Kayla said, turning back to Jack.
“Do you want to climb the spaceship?” Kayla asked softly, as if it would be a secret. Jack’s eyebrows raised.
“The spaceship?”
Now, let me explain the spaceship to you. The playgrounds “spaceship” was the envy of every slide, teeter-totter, and merry-go-round. To a seven-year-old, this was the tallest structure in all of existence, reaching to the clouds. It was built just like a spaceship, and if you had enough imagination, this ship would take you anywhere in the world.
“Yeah!” Kayla exclaimed.
“Uh, I thought you hated the spaceship.”
“No.”
“I thought you were scared to climb it.”
Kayla stared into Jack’s eyes. Her eyes said, “I dare you to say that again.”
Jack shuffled his feet a little and cleared his throat.
“I don’t think I can climb with my broken leg.”
Kayla looked at the leg for a second.
“I’ll help you,” she offered.
Jack had imagined himself in a thousand different situations with Kayla. Playing on the merry-go-round. Playing baseball. Eating ice cream. He’d even imagined when they were grown up and could drive. He had not imagined this girl asking to help him climb the very spaceship that she had been afraid of last week. This was new. Jeffery would make fun of him no doubt. Abe would laugh. Tessa would stop writing love letters. Yes. He had made up his mind.
“Okay.” he said. A smile slowly forming.
“Yay! I’ll race you. Go!” Kayla bolted for the ship.
“Not fair!” Jack complained as he hobbled along on his crutches.
Kayla ended up doing very little to help Jack climb the step of the ship, but she did encourage him every step. After climbing about three-fourths of the way, Kayla stopped and looked at Jack, a hint of fear in her eyes.
“Don’t be scared.” said Jack. “I’ll catch you if you fall.” Though he was quite certain that if she fell, she would break a leg, and he would most certainly break his other.
With Kayla’s encouragement for Jack’s leg, and Jack’s for Kayla’s fear, the two made it to the top. They stood side by side looking across the playground so far below. Kayla thought of this ship as a castle. A tall, grand castle. She was the princess standing beside the prince, looking at their kingdom below. To Jack, this was...well....a spaceship.
“So what do you do up here.?” Kayla asked.
Jack smiled. He went into this ship every day. He had explored a hundred planets, fought a thousand aliens, and saved a million people.
“I travel the world.” Jack answered.
Kayla smiled.
Jack grabbed the steering wheel.
“Where do you want to go?”





-Second Moment-
(Twenty Years Later)

Well, time passed quickly, and the little Jack and Kayla grew up. As you may have guessed, they did fall in love. They dated through high school and college, and the day after Jack’s twenty-third birthday the two were married. The wedding was going to be a week before, but Jack insisted that his bride would not be twenty-three when he was only twenty-two. The wedding was nearly perfect. There was only one screaming baby. Only two of the bridesmaids dresses caught on fire, and only one of the best men lost the wedding ring. Kayla was stunning, and Jack didn’t look so terrible either. The honeymoon was fantastic. Jack took Kayla to London, the city of her dreams. He had never seen her happier than those two weeks.
But life goes on, and marriage is not always good and well. One day, Jack came home from work (he was a High School English teacher) four hours late. Kayla was at the kitchen sink, finishing up the last of the supper dishes.
“Hey.” Jack said, sitting down on the living room couch with a long sigh.
“Where were you?” Kayla asked.
Jack picked up a Sports Illustrated off the coffee table.
“Work.”
Kayla walked to the living room, and leaned against the wall, her arms folded. Jack smiled. Back against the wall with arms folded always meant Kayla was mad, and she was cute when she was angry.
“Where’d you go after work?”
“Here. It went late.”
“School got out five hours ago.” Kayla stated.
“Basketball started today.”
“And...?”
“I’m coaching.” Jack said with a smile.
“Really?”
“Yeah.”
“You always wanted that job. Why didn’t you tell me?”
“Just did.”
Kayla sat down close to Jack, taking away his magazine.
“Why didn’t you tell me before?”
“What do you mean?”
“Did you just find out today?” Kayla asked.
“Of course not.”
“Then why didn’t you tell me the second you found out?”
“I didn’t win the lottery Kay. I’m just coaching.”
“So if it’s not a big deal, then why didn’t you call home to say you wouldn’t make it for supper?”
“I’ve been late before. I figured you’d figure it out. Sorry.”
Kayla heard very little “sorry” in his voice as he picked his magazine back up.
“Jack?”
“What?” Jack’s eyes not didn’t leave the pages.
“Do you think I’m pretty?”
Jack rolled his eyes.
“Well do you?”
Jack brought the magazine down slightly, looking at his wife.
“Is tonight interrogation night or something?”
“What do you mean?”
“I just want to read the magazine. Is there a point your getting to?”
Kayla quickly stood.
“Sorry!” she exclaimed quite sarcastically. “I didn’t realize you were going to be in such a bad mood after making me sit here for two hours waiting to eat supper with you.”
“Oh brother. Fine. I’ll call next time. Happy?”
“Jack. What’s gotten into you lately?”
“A giant worm. Ate my heart out.”
“Oh shut up! You get home late a lot...even when you do call. Why?”
“I tell you every time. I have friends that I hang out with. Friends. Just like you. And if I’m not mistaken you spend time with your friends much more than I do.”
Jack turned the page, hoping the new pages would make his wife go away for now.
“Why don’t you ever drive me to work anymore?”
“You got your own car!” Jack laughed.
“I go to bed alone every other night because your watching t.v.”
“So watch with me.”
“You never ask.”
“Do I have to?”
“You used to ask me.”
“Sorry...I’ll write that down in my planner.”
There was a long pause.
“Do you love me Jack?”
Jack set the magazine back down on the coffee table.
“Kayla. You’re my wife. I love you. Okay? Anymore questions?”
“Just one. You always go to Sam’s to watch football. Why don’t you ever watch it with me.”
“You hate football.”
Several tears had fallen down Kayla’s cheek by now.
“I hated the spaceship too.”

Third Moment-
(Two Weeks Later)
-
Jack was awakened at 6:00 A.M by the Black Eyed Peas singing “I Gotta Feeling” from his c.d player. He groaned, and slammed the snooze button. Laying his head back down on the pillow, Jack considered calling in sick (much like he did every morning). And much like every morning, the little angel on his right shoulder told him this was a bad idea. So, Jack groaned again as he did his sit up for the day. He put on his slippers, and headed for the kitchen. Today was the fourteenth of September. He had officially been married seven years. The last two weeks had by far been the worst of them all. He and Kayla had talked very little, and only eaten a handful of meals together. Church was really the only time they pretended to get along. After a half an hour in the kitchen, Jack heard Kayla coming down the stairs. He quickly walked to the side of the table and waited. Kayla rounded the corner and came into view. It wasn’t quite as he had suspected. Sure, Jack knew she would have just woken up, but for some reason he had expected her to be dressed all in white, with an array of light all around. But...she was just in her green, flannel, lounging pants with a plain, black, long-sleeve shirt. Her hair was shooting every-which-way. Her eyes were sleepy, and she looked altogether quite like a person who had just woken up. Jack took a deep breath. He had planned this all night and if he didn’t pull this off, he would never forgive himself. Kayla stopped as soon as she entered the kitchen. She stared at the table. Jack had made Belgian waffles, her favorite. There was whipped topping, strawberries, and even chocolate syrup. Next to her plate was a tall box, wrapped in Christmas wrapping paper, typical Jack. He had even attempted to tie it with strings, but had failed miserably. Kayla slowly approached the table, eyeing the food and gift as if they were explosive.
“What’s this?” she asked at last.
Jack smiled. He had even planned her saying that!
“I uh...made you breakfast, but the gifts for me.”
Kayla smiled. Score!
“It’s our anniversary,” Kayla whispered.
She had not forgotten, but when she said the words, it sounded as if it was something sacred that had long been forgotten in the past.
“Yeah.” was all Jack said in return.
“Can I open it?” asked Kayla.
Jack shrugged. “Well, I was hoping you’d just look at it for a couple hours first, but uh....I s’pose you can open it if ya want.”
Kayla gave Jack the “your ridiculous” look as she picked up the box. She began to shake it.
“Careful!” Jack exclaimed. “It’s fragile.”
Jack had put four layers of wrapping on. Again. Typical Jack. After defeating her husbands wrapping, she opened the box and peered inside. Her heart sunk ever so slightly.
“Nothing?” she said.
Jack bit his bottom lip, adding in his own planned dramatic pause.
“Yes...and no. It’s actually two things. The first is nothing, and that’s exactly what I’ve been giving you for a long long time. I don’t know why Kayla, and I don’t really know how long I’ve given it to you. But I know I’ve given you a lot of it lately. For that, I am so so sorry. I have no excuse.
He paused for a moment. Kayla began to stutter over some words, but Jack cut her off.
“The um....the second thing is in there, but you uh...you can’t see it. It’s love. And that’s something I haven’t given you any of for a while. You see Kayla, when I married you, I did it because we were in love. Crazy in love. And when I thought about spending everyday with a person I was so in love with, I knew there was nothing better. I was wrong. Not about you. About love. I thought love was a feeling. I thought it was a feeling I would feel every single day I was with you. I thought I would wake up every morning with a smile as I stared into your eyes. I thought I’d get butterflies every time I saw you. I thought my heart would stop every time you told me you loved me. And for a while, I was right. But after a while, I don’t know how long, it all stopped. The thing that I thought was love was gone. It popped up every once in a while, but it grew more and more rare. I was angry. I thought I’d maybe made a mistake. Maybe we had both made a mistake. After we fought a while back, I started giving us a lot of thought. I thought about apologizing, about making you apologize, about divorce...about a lot of things. Last night I laid in bed thinking. I remembered today was our anniversary. Yeah, I know...crazy right? Anyway...I figured this was the day to figure out what I should do. I thought about what I would do without you. I could buy a house close to Sam. Hang out with him more. I wouldn’t have to worry about getting home late or not calling or getting in fights. In fact, I could really only think of one reason not to leave. I thought about what it would be like to come home day after day and not see you. Well, to make a long story short, I didn’t like that idea. You see, I finally figured out that love isn’t a feeling at all. At least I don’t think so. Love is a promise. Love is a promise that I will always be there for the one that gave me that feeling I thought was love. It’s a promise to never leave her. It’s a promise to protect her and to provide for her. Love is to kiss her even when she’s yelling at me for being late. Love is to sleep with her even when my favorite show is on. Love is to ask her to watch the Vikings game with me, even though I know she hates it. Love is when she watches with me. Love is not what I feel for you Kayla. It’s what I do for you because of what I feel. I haven’t loved you for a very long time Kayla, and I’m so sorry. You see, when I told you the gift was fragile, I meant it. It’s so fragile. I’ve been shaking it for so long, and it almost broke.”
Jack stopped. He could not remember if he had planned to say more or not. What he had not expected were the tears in his eyes, and the lack of tears in his wife’s. She simply stood speechless for a long time. Jack wiped a tear away from his eye.
“So that um....that love is still there in the box if you want it.” he said at last.
At this, Kayla ran into the arms of her husband, and began to weep.
“I forgive you. I forgive you. I forgive you.” she cried.
“I love you Kayla.”
“I love you Jack.”

-Moment Four-
(One Year Later)

Jack sat in the small room, staring at the t.v. screen, oblivious to what was on it. He rubbed his hands together, until they became sore. He could hear the cries from his wife in the next room. He offered a thousand prayers to God, begging him to protect her and the baby. After much too long, the doctor came into the room. He had a smile on his face, and that smile held the answer of each prayer. Jack entered the room that his wife was in, and slowly approached her bed. Sweat covered her face, and she looked rather dreadful. Dreadfully beautiful. In her arms, lie a brand new present from above. A tiny baby girl.
“You wanna hold your new daughter, Daddy?” asked Kayla.
Jack couldn’t say anything as he reached down and took the tiny, precious gift from his wife. He sat on the chair next to Kayla. He was holding the most precious thing the world had ever known. Jack was so afraid that he would somehow drop her, and that she would break into a thousand pieces. She was so fragile.
“So I was thinking about what you said,” began Kayla. “It’s okay with me if we call her Jocelyn, but you have to promise me that you won’t call her “Jaws.”
“I promised,” he laughed, looking down at his daughter.
“Hey Jocelyn. I’m your dad.”
Kayla giggled.
This was the new best day of their lives.


-Moment Five-
(Three Years Later)

The snow was a foot deep outside the home in Minnesota. Kayla was inside making some hot chocolate. Jack and Jocelyn were outside playing in the snow. Jocelyn had on her pretty pink snowsuit, while Jack sported a ridiculous-looking blue suit that was four sizes too big for him. They were playing football-Jocelyn’s favorite game thanks to Jack. Kayla laughed as her husband was “tackled” by Jocelyn .
“Oh, you got me!” exclaimed Jack, handing Jocelyn the ball. “I’ll give you ten seconds Jaws.”
Jocelyn screamed and began to run toward the house. This was her favorite game of football. Daddy would give her ten seconds before he began to chase her. Jack counted slowly to three and then raced to ten. Getting up he began to chase his daughter. Reaching her, Jack picked her up high into the air, and together they fell into the snow. They laughed for a long time their in the snow. Then they simply looked up at the stars in the moonless night. Far enough from any city, the two could see nearly every star God had placed in the sky.
“That’s the Big Dipper, right Daddy?” Jocelyn asked, pointing to the constellation.
“That’s right.”
“That’s my favorite.”
“Mine too.”
Jocelyn gasped as a shooting star passed overhead.
“Actually, those are my favorite.”
Jack smiled. “You know what. They’re my favorite too.”
Jocelyn giggled. “Good.”
Then, she rolled over onto Jack’s stomach and looked at him with those ocean blue eyes of hers.
“I love you Daddy.”
Jack kissed Jocelyn on the cheek.
“I love you too.”

-Moment Six-
(Three Years Later)

Jack sped along the highway as fast as he dared.
“Jack. She’s not breathing!” Kayla screamed.
Jack pushed the pedal even farther as he whispered “please God...no” over and over. Jack brought the car in the emergency entrance of the hospital and parked half way onto the sidewalk. He jumped out of the car, grabbed Jocelyn, and raced inside.
“Help!” He screamed as he entered the building. A young woman instantly came to his side, quickly joined by a young man and Dr. Stevens.
“Please. She’s not breathing. She’s not breathing. Please.”
Dr. David Stevens took Jocelyn, and placed her on the cart, as the younger man began to ask Jack what happened. What happened after that was just a blur to Jack. Dr. Stevens began to stroll Jocelyn away. Jack tried to follow, but the young lady stopped him. He would have marched right past her, but she insisted it was best for Jocelyn. Jack told the young man what had happened, reliving every second of it. They had been eating breakfast. Jocelyn was eating her favorite Lucky Charms, staring at the maze on the back of the box. It all happened so fast. She just slumped down, her head splashing the milk out of her bowl. Jack thought it was a joke. But she didn’t move. Kayla lifted her head and tried to talk to her, but Jocelyn was completely unresponsive. They raced to the hospital, only six miles away. Halfway there Jocelyn had stopped breathing.
Jack and Kayla spent hours in the waiting room with no word on their daughter. Jack asked several doctors, but they all said it was too soon to tell him anything. At last, Dr. Stevens approached them. Jack remembered quite vividly the look on Doctor Steven’s face after Jocelyn had been born. This was not the same look.
“Jack. Kayla.” the doctor began.
“What’s wrong with her David?” Jack pleaded to know.
“Hold on Jack. First of all, we were able to restore her breathing. She’s breathing on her own now.”
“Thank God.” said Jack.
“But what was wrong?” asked Kayla.
Dr. Stevens looked at the floor and softly sighed. He looked back up.
“We don’t know. Kayla.” He paused for some time. “I have no idea how I’m supposed to say this. They don’t teach doctor’s how to tell people these kinda things. She’s dying... and there doesn’t seem to be anything wrong with her. She could go anytime.”
Kayla had begun to weep uncontrollably. Jack did little better.
“It’s okay if we see her, David?” Jack was barely able to ask after a while.
“Of course, Jack. Of course.”
Jack helped Kayla to her feet, and together they made their way to Jocelyn’s room. They both took a moment at the door to wipe away tears and try to make themselves look presentable. Entering the door, they were greeted by their always smiling daughter.

-Moment Seven-

“Mom! Dad!” Jocelyn exclaimed, her smiling growing brighter than ever.
“Hey sweetie.” Kayla said first, sitting next to Jocelyn.
“Hey honey.” Jack added.
Jocelyn’s smile turned into a bit of a frown.
“I don’t feel very good.”
“I’m sorry baby.” Kayla kissed on her forehead, and rubbed her stomach softly.
“Doctor Dave says I might get to see Jesus today.” Jocelyn said softly.
Jack and Kayla exchanged glances.
“He told you that?” asked Jack.
Jocelyn nodded. “I asked. Actually, he only said maybe.”
“Well. Jesus just might want you to stay here too.” Kayla reassured herself, more-so than her daughter.
“I want to see Him.” Jocelyn said. “But...I’m scared too.”
Jack began to comb Jocelyn’s hair with his fingers.
“You’re a lot braver than me Jaws.”
Jocelyn shook her head. “No I’m not.”
“No. I’m scared to go to Heaven too.” Jack continued. “What if I don’t know how to play the harp, and all the angels laugh at me?”
Jocelyn began to giggle.
“Or what if I fall right through the clouds and fall back on earth?”
Jocelyn’s giggling turned to laughter.
“They have streets of gold, remember? You can’t fall through those.”
“Oh...that’s right. I must have forgot. I’ll just be sure to stay away from the clouds.”
“What about you Mommy? Are you scared.” asked Jocelyn.
“Me? Well of course I am! I heard that we’re going to have a mansion to live in. Can you imagine all the cleaning I’m going to have to do up there? I already have enough to do in our house down here.”
“When I’m in Heaven I’ll be older so I can help.” Jocelyn declared.
Kayla tried in vain to stop the coming tears.
“Can I have Lucy?” Jocelyn asked after a moment.
Lucy was the stuffed animal beagle she had received for her second birthday. Jocelyn rarely went anywhere without Lucy.
“Sure.” said Kayla. “I’ll have Aunt Carol bring her over.
“Thanks.”
Kayla left the room, knowing she’d be unable to make the call with Jocelyn beside her.

-Moment Eight-

“You know.” said Jack. “You sure made a big mess at the table when you fell asleep on us at breakfast.”
“Hey!”
“No. Really. Milk and Lucky Charms all over the place.”
“I didn’t try!” Jocelyn giggled.
Jack laughed. “I’m just kidding.”
“Will you lay down with me Daddy.”
“Promise the tickling machine won’t attack me?” Jack asked nervously.
Jocelyn’s eyes grew wide as if she had come up with a brilliant plan. She shook her head “yes” and scooted to the right of the bed. Jack laid down next to her and was instantly bombarded with by the “tickling machine”. After laughing for a good thirty seconds, Jack suddenly grew very serious, and Jocelyn stopped laughing.
“Attack!” Jack ordered, and his own tickling machine sought revenge against his daughter’s. The two tickled each other until they could laugh no more. Jack rolled over to his side, facing the most precious little girl in the universe.
“Hey.” he said.
Then, Jocelyn smiled the most beautiful smile Jack had ever seen.
“Hey.”

2 comments:

  1. That was so good James!!!! I seriously was crying by the end. I think it's a sign of a good story if it can make me cry. :D

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Olivia! Pretty sure you're my #1 fan outside the family! :)
    and when i come home this Christmas you have to show me how you make your site so cool looking!!! :)

    ReplyDelete

Thoughts? Leave a comment!

Dethroning the American Jesus - Final 1 John Post

"We know that whoever is born of God does not sin; but he who has been born of God keeps himself, and the wicked one does not to...