Wednesday, August 13, 2014

If You Can't Finish Your Coffee - Something is Wrong

Revelation 3:14-22


My Worst Day

It was a sunny afternoon. My wife and I were spending the weekend in Omaha, and were blessed to catch the Farmer's Market along the brick roads of Old Towne Market. My wife purchased some honey and some foreign-looking  taco. I, however, had my eyes for only purchase - a delicious cup of local-brewed coffee. The gentlemen in the booth was nice, so I engaged in small chat - all the while salivating at the smell of such a heavenly aroma. He told me that even though I was from far away, I could receive a monthly delivery. I nodded absentmindedly. My hands were shaking now, pulse rising, feet shifting ever closer to the coffee maker I was pretty sure I could hear whispering my name. "James. Drink me. Drink me now."

"I want a cup of coffee!" I declared at last, interrupting his much-too-long speech. He smiled and asked his wife to pour me a glass. I handed the woman several George Washingtons and gripped the cup with my right hand - the hand which had so many times held a hot cup of joe. The hand which had so many times raised to my lips in splendor. The hand which... something was terribly wrong! 

That warm sensation I so longed for evaded me. Doubts flooded my mind. Was this a dream? Was everyting a dream? Who was I?

I brought the cup to my lips and let the liquid pour onto my tongue - just to make sure - one last desperate attempt to wake from the nightmare. It wasn't a dream. This was real life. I was James Knoop. And my coffee was lukewarm. 

I fell to my knees in agony. "Darn you local brewery!" I cried. 


The History of Lukewarm

Lukewarm liquid has a long history. The South began the Civil War shortly after General Lee was given a lukewarm cup of sweet tea by a Yankee. Christopher Columbus decided to look for a new world the day he received a lukewarm cup of lemonade. But it all began with the church in Laodicea. 


A Bad Report

As we've seen over the past couple of weeks, The Lord is watching the churches of this world. In the words of Warren Wiersbe, "Judgement is going to come to this world, but it first begins at God's house." Do not think that because you are saved, you are free to think and do as you wish. You are not - not without great consequence. 

In Revelation 3:14-22, we find that Jesus has a serious offense against the Laodiceans. They are lukewarm. He says, "I could wish that you were cold or hot. So then, because you are lukewarm, and neither cold nor hot, I will vomit you out of My mouth."

If the King of the universe says He wants to vomit you out of His mouth - you'd better listen up. 

Now, there was a spring of water on either side of Laodicea - one was hot and one cold. Some people take Jesus' words to mean that He wishes that they were either on fire for Him or else completely rejecting Him. The other crowd takes Jesus' words to mean that both hot and cold are good things, and He simply wishes that they were following Him. Here's why I believe the second option. 

These particular springs were both good to the towns they came to. The cold was great drinking water and the hot was perfect for healing sores or general relaxation. However, when these two rivers came together in Laodicea, they were lukewarm. And it was the lukewarmness that Jesus hated. 

But either way, the message stays the same. Jesus hates a lukewarm church. 


Why They were Lukewarm

Now don't get the idea that this church was lukewarm in its efforts. No, no. This church was on top of things. They were wealthy. They had the banners and choir and great tithing and stain-glass windows and plenty of money in the pocket to spare. That's what they saw. Jesus saw something quite different. 

"You say, 'I am rich, have become wealthy, and have need of nothing' - and do not know that you are wretched, miserable, poor, blind, and naked."

If it doesn't break your heart to hear the One you call "Savior" refer to you as a poor, wretched, naked blind miserable person - I don't know what will. 

The message couldn't be more clear. The prosperity gospel is hogwash. Jesus doesn't care if your church has great music, big buildings, multiple programs for every age, fancy lighting systems or video podcasts if they aren't pointing to Him. If those things draw you to yourself - He hates them. He doesn't hate fancy buildings and great programs. He hates the fact that people enter a church building on Sunday and go home talking about the "show" instaed of Him. 


The Call

Now, don't miss one of the most massive verses in the Bible - verse 19. 

"As many as I love, I rebuke and chasten. Therefore, be zealous and repent."

Jesus is so merciful that He doesn't leave poor and miserable people like myself out to dry. He doesn't punish and then walk away. He disciplines, yes. But only because He loves us. And then, He extends a hand and says, "Listen to my voice. There is a way so much better than your way. No amount of programs or money can get you anywhere, and I certainly don't need them. I don't even need you. But I'm standing outside your door knocking, and if you open it - I promise I'll come in. And you can't even fathom the glory I can show you in the life to come."


Conclusion

I hate lukewarm coffee. It ruins my day. How much worse does a lukewarm believer and church appear in the eyes of our Savior Jesus Christ. I didn't create coffee, and I sure didn't die for it. Jesus did. He died for you and me. And yet here we sit in the United States of America, glorying in how awesome of a church we've made - all the while completely oblivious to our nakedness that He died for. 

Open your eyes. Repent. Throw out the lukewarm parts of your life. Yeah, it'll be hard, I know. 

Be an overcomer. 


No comments:

Post a Comment

Thoughts? Leave a comment!

Dethroning the American Jesus - Final 1 John Post

"We know that whoever is born of God does not sin; but he who has been born of God keeps himself, and the wicked one does not to...