Wednesday, March 5, 2014

Dear America: Chapter Two (vs. 1-5)

The First Letter from the Apostle Paul to the chuch of God in America.

(Adapted from the NKJV 1 Corinthians)


CHAPTER TWO (vs. 1-5)

For example, think about when I travelled to America and preached in your church buildings. I did not succumb to the many temptations I received from your elders to "enhance your worship experience." Is this a common phrase among you?

What enhancing does the Spirit of Almighty God need?

Again, when I came to America, I did not preach nearly as eloquently as your beloved pastors do. My message was so incredibly simple that the comments left online suggested that I actually lacked wisdom. 

Yes, my physical appearance was not what you are used to. I am short and thin and rarely dressed as well as you would like, and you could probably see my knees shaking and hands trembling. The weight of my messages were so burdensome to me. 

Does my appearance and sermon delivery really impact you so much? Are you offended that I declined your worship teams offer to play "emotional music" during my final prayer? Are you offended that I didn't tell funny stories or jokes? Are you offended that I didn't use deep theological terms and well designed charts or power points? 

Are you so offended that all I talked about was Jesus Christ on the cross for your sins?

"It's too elementary," was one comment I received.

"If Paul didn't know the story of Jesus on the cross he would have absolutely nothing to preach on for his over-the-time-limit sermons. I guess we all know if he comes back, it's a good week to skip."

Brothers and sisters, I grew up a man of religion. If I desired to preach on something else, I have quite the repirtoire. Unlike many of yourselves, I have spent my life, not gaining knowledge, but ridding myself of it. The only thing I want to know is Jesus on the cross. 

Because only that is wisdom. Only that is power. 

Dear Americans, your country begs you to put your faith in money and sex. They beg you to believe that success is wise to pursue. This faith and wisdom is damned. 

Put your faith in the cross. That alone, with no substitute, is wisdom. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thoughts? Leave a comment!

Dethroning the American Jesus - Final 1 John Post

"We know that whoever is born of God does not sin; but he who has been born of God keeps himself, and the wicked one does not to...