Wednesday, January 1, 2014

For Auld Lang Syne

As the clock struck midnight, confetti shot into the air, shouts filled my ears, lovers kissed and the words to Auld Lang Syne echoed accross the walls. The confetti came from mini poppers purchased at our local Alco. The shouts and kisses arose only from Meredith and I, as did the words to the old Scottish tune. "For Auld Lang Syne."

For old time's sake. 

My 2013 was...eventful. I graduated college two weeks before the new year and moved home. In January, I moved to my brother's apartment in Grand Forks, North Dakota and worked at Olive Garden. A few months later, I moved to my girlfriend's parents' house in Atlanta, Georgia and worked as a salesman. Two months later, I moved back to Minnesota - unemployed. Two months later, I became engaged. One month later, I began working construction. Two months later, I was married. One month later, my wife, dog and I moved to Scotia, Nebraska to begin a 6-month internship at my brother's church. 

For old time's sake. 

And here I sit, typing. January 1, 2014. I just finished my morning devotions, and in front of me, I can see my chocolate lab puppy sleeping on the couch, with my wife next to her, reading her Bible next to the window. What does 2014 hold for the three of us? I'm tempted to pray it doesn't hold the sorrows of 2013, and yet I plead for the same joys of the past year. 

We'll take a cup of kindness yet. 

Amidst resolutions and new calendars and diet blogs, how do we truly start the new year? How do we begin again? How can we truly form new habits and hope for better times ahead when all the morning seemed to bring us was one day closer to more deadlines and responsibilities and chocolate cravings, and none of our 2013 troubles seem to be forgotten? Raise a glass

For old time's sake. 

The Lord gives, and The Lord takes away. Blessed be the name of The Lord. He has brought 2013 and taken it away. And we praise Him for it. What does 2014 hold? I have no idea. I'll let my tomorrow's worry about themselves. Last year, I sought to honor The Lord. Today I seek to honor Him. Tomorrow I shall seek the same. When it comes to a new year, there really isn't anything as important as that. Let's face it. My wife and I will probably gain weight. My dog will no longer be a cute puppy. I'll spill coffee on the carpet, and I won't go nearly as many places as I'd like. But I have a wife who loves me and loves God. I have a roof over my head. And I have a Savior who ever intercedes for me. I can toast to that. 

For now, I think it's time to join my dog and wife on the couch. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thoughts? Leave a comment!

Dethroning the American Jesus - Final 1 John Post

"We know that whoever is born of God does not sin; but he who has been born of God keeps himself, and the wicked one does not to...